, beats the bounds of the familial and hereditary legacy of Dr Thomas Willis (1621-1675), recovering and reconstructing a series of
. In this cycle of projects, Harry sets out to understand and respond to an esoteric (but archetypal) heritage of bloodlines, traditions, landed property, collections, and architectural patronage, and ask some large questions in small and forgotten places.
The War Shrine was erected in 1918 to commemorate Richard Willis Fleming and the local men of North Stoneham who served and died in the First World War. The project returned this derelict arts and crafts building to its original state using traditional skills, in collaboration and engagement with the local community, and rededicated it as a memorial.
In the summer of 2008, the Field Tent was pitched at the site of demolished North Stoneham House to operate as a temporary museum and living-researching space, in collaboration with the artist Jane Wildgoose.
The project is building a record of the dispersed contents and output of the Library of the antiquary Browne Willis (1682-1760), comprising his collected printed books and manuscripts, his own papers, correspondence, and numismatic collection.
Harry has given many talks on Session Five topics, including at SeaCity Museum (Southampton), Hampshire Record Office, Eastleigh Museum, King's College London, and Kingston University.
Twin cabinets containing historical displays were installed simultaneously at each of the War Shrines at Stoneham and Havenstreet for Heritage Open Days, September 2007.
An architectural history study of one of the most prolific and versatile English architects of the first half of the nineteenth century.
For mobile research, Annual Picnics and gatherings, and as a temporary home and workspace in the landscape, the Field Tent was pitched in many locations.
The Stoneham Archive
The Archive relates to North Stoneham House
and Park: its architecture and design; the house's dispersed contents, collections, and library; and the people who lived and worked there.
The Trust was formed as a non-profit vehicle for projects including the Restoration of the Stoneham War Shrine, and to establish, curate, and maintain an archive into the future.
Residency at Binstead
Harry was invited to stay on the Isle of Wight where he set up research facilities at the Binstead study retreat for the hibernal term, 2012/13.
This weblog project transcribed and re-presented the manuscript war diaries of 2nd Lieut. Richard Willis Fleming (1896-1916), written during his overseas service during the First World War. The diary entries were published daily online.
The Muniment Room is a collaborative wiki that sets out to map the ways in which people, places, and documents link together across the four centuries of the Fleming Estate's history.
The project pieces back together the heraldic programme of painted glass formerly at St Nicolas Church at North Stoneham in Hampshire, which was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.
In 1914, the Swaythling Remount Depot was constructed to supply horses and mules for war service. This website and archive raised awareness and evoked a historical sense of the place in the lead-up to the centenary of the First World War.